Ok so I am not one for New years resolutions, it seems like you are just setting yourself up for failure. I do however believe in a fresh start. There are goals that I write that I accomplish and some that are a work in progress... for years. So even though I think resolutions are not for me, I do think I will set some goals for the coming year (years in some cases). January just seems like a good time to do this. When I was in school I would do this in May too when summer would begin. It just seems like with all the Holidays, life just gets crazy and normal everyday life gets put on the back burner for a while. Well now it is time to get back into a schedule and why not make some much needed changes to that schedule. So here goes! Here are 11 things I would like to do in 2011!!!!
1. Have at least one fun outing, trip, special day with my family every month. Making memories is very important to me and I hope that with camping trips or trips to the Mt's or the zoo or to see cousins will become fun memories for my kids and help us to build strong relationships. I think learning and laughing together is so much more important then stuff! I would rather go camping then buy my kids new toys. I hope they will agree!
2. Get up early! Read my scriptures and/or Ensign article, exercise, shower put my tennies on and get my day going. There are a lot of things encompassed in this one. I love to sleep! but I need to get my day going. I also need to be better about reading my scriptures. I know that if I exercise in the morning then I will get it done. I am NOT going to make a weight loss goal but I do want to get healthier and have more energy to play with my kids. I also want to start my day with the spirit! My family is so important to me and If I can be my best self then I can be the best mom/wife for them too!
3. Have a date night at least 2 times a month. We are not in a place where I can say every week. The money for a babysitter and then going to do something and eating is just not in the budget right now. I know I can be creative and do a lot of no or low cost dates but with two kids its harder to just drop them off at the in laws. but I know its important so I am sure we can figure out 2 times a month!
4. Buy a new(er) car. We have been wanting a new car for a while and I am afraid we will need one soon. Jason's favorite thing to do is look at cars, on line, while driving by, anytime. For a date a few months ago I took him out to test drive cars. That's all we did and it was so fun. So this year we will make it happen!
5. Have FHE every week! We are pretty good about doing this but I want to make sure that we really do it! planned lesson and all! I just got a new calling where I will be preparing a lesson every week for kids about his age. So I think I can use that as our lesson and have fun activities to go with it already ready! I know its kind of cheating but I am sure it still counts. I am sure there will be times when we will have to do something else and that is OK with me. I just want them to be real and make sure our kids know that it is important to us.
6. Budget! Budget! Budget!!! This one should have been right after the car goal. I do the books in our house and the budget. This is definitely something I need to get better at. This past few years we have made a scary amount of money (bad scary not good scary) and yet we have survived. (Tithing works!!!) That has not been fun or easy and will not change any time soon I am sure but I know we really are blessed. I think about the families in other countries that make as much per year as we do in a month. I thank Heavenly Father every day for our wealth and blessings. But I can do better. So this year I am going to make and stick to a strict budget every month. I want a new car (since I will be the one driving it) and this is how we are going to do it. I also want to pay mostly cash for the new car!!!!! Wouldn't that be fun!!!!!
7. Finish the backyard. We have been in our house for 5 years and still have a lot of dirt in the backyard. Jason has done a lot of work on this and I know it is hard for him! I haven't helped much because I know he can do it sooo much better then I can so I just stay out of the way. But this year I am going to get in there and help him. I may not do it perfectly but I can help. when its done it will be AWESOME!! ( by the way this was on the list last year too!)
8. Be better at scheduling. If I want to accomplish some of the things on this list I am going to have to be better at scheduling. I think this will also help me sleep better at night. Some nights I lay there thinking about all the things I have to get done the next day. If I have them written down and scheduled then I wont have to worry so much right?
9. Cook good, yummy, healthy food for my family! I like to cook and I like to try new things. the problem is I like carbs and a lot of them! I love pasta, bread, cookies, sweets, treats and most things that are not good for me. So along with cooking I want to try new recipes once a week and find healthy ones that work for us! If you have any good ones please feel free to send them my way!!!
10. Exercise at least three days a week! I know I mentioned this one in the get up early one but I feel it needs its own goal. Being a mom is the best job in the world but it can wear on you sometimes. I need some me time every once in a while and exercise is great for that. There is a gym opening just up the street and it is cheap. If I can get a new babysitting gig I will join. Then I can have the me time I need, be healthier and have more energy!
11. This one sadly was on the list last year but... GET A FREAKIN JOB WITH BP!!!! I can't believe this was on my list last year and is still not done!!!! I promise if this is not done by the end of the year we will have moved on to something else!!! There is not much we can do to move this one forward but pray and be patient! ITS BEEN ALMOST 2 YEARS!!!!!!! but we feel it is the right thing for us so we are sticking to it! Lets just hope it comes sooner then later!!!
So that's all! I am going to print this up and post it on my bathroom mirror so I can re-read them often. I hope that the new year find you all well and healthy and setting new goals for yourselves. I will do my best to report in on how things are going! Good luck with you and yours! I hope your new year is full of hope, health, love and laughter!